Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 - Shopping List (Partial)


Below is a partial list of my recent purchase from RadioShack.com... and I've attached a screen capture of my invoice from Mouser. There are a few other things I've purchased from my local Radio Shack that I'll write up shortly. Note that I've included Chapter # for the items below and the screenshot.

-----
Radio Shack

Item: 2761995 (Chapter 4)
Description: 8-Pin Retention Contact
Quantity: 5 @ $.48

Item: 2761999 (Chapter 4)
Description: 14-Pin Retention Contact
Quantity: 5 @ $.99

Item: 2761998 (Chapter 4)
Description: 16-Pin Retention Contact
Quantity: 5 @ $.99

Item: 2760022 (Chapter 3)
Description: 5mm Green LED
Quantity: 3 @ $1.49

Item: 2760041 (Chapter 3)
Description: 5mm Red LED
Quantity: 3 @ $1.49

Item: 2760170 (Chapter 3)
Description: Matching Printed Circuit Board
Quantity: 1 @ $2.99

UPDATE: I received an email from RadioShack.com stating that part 276-170 (Printed Circuit Board) is no longer available and is a canceled item. I'll look for a suitable replacement and let everyone know - this is the circuit board that must fit in the project box in Exercise 15. If anyone finds a suitable replacement before I do, please let me know.

-----

For Chapter 3, note that the "single inline sockets and headers" mention having a terminal spacing of .1 inch. This is called PITCH and is equivalent to 2.54mm... most of the Mouser descriptions use mm. I mention this just in case you don't buy the same part # I did in the Mouser screen capture.

For Chapter 3, also note that the tool shown in Figure 3-17 is around $50 at McMaster-Carr - I'm holding off on that until I find I really REALLY need it.

For Chapter 3, I found that the special sized perforated board shown in Figure 3-24 that will fit in the project box doesn't seem to be sold in Radio Shack stores. I think this is an online part only... may be wrong. Part 276-150 was carried in stores... they had a bunch of them. Same for the project box required for Exercise 15.

For Chapter 3, I haven't found the magnetic switches yet. Shouldn't be too hard to track down, but no pictures at Mouser to compare to the one used in Exercise 15.

For Chapter 4, I haven't yet ordered my chips - going to read the Fundamentals primer and then make my buys.

For Chapter 4, I bought almost everything at Mouser. I have NOT purchased the 12 key numeric keypad - it's about $60-75 depending on the one you buy... way too expensive. I'm going to try and find a less expensive version or use the book's suggestion to use 12 SPST NO pushbuttons instead.

UPDATE: I found the 12-key numeric keypad at All Electronics for $4.95. With shipping, however, it comes to $12.00. I hate paying more for shipping than the price of the part, but I cannot find this part locally at ACK or Radio Shack... argh.

4 comments:

  1. James, thanks for your continuing diligence! A few comments.

    The countersink tool in fig 3-17 appears to have increased in price! For a mere $2.25 you can buy this substitute:

    http://bostonindustrial.net/Hand-Countersink/M/B000NY6RLO.htm

    It's really helpful to have a hand-powered countersink because it gives you much better control when working with soft plastic.

    You are correct that the perf board that exactly mimicks breadboard layout is sold only online by Radio Shack, but similar boards can be found from other online sources.

    Project boxes are stocked by some Radio Shack franchises, not others. It depends on the degree to which the Shack is hobby-oriented.

    Magnetic switches are easy to find from many sources (including eBay).

    --Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi,

    I went and ordered all the chips needed along with a couple grabbers, the LED display, the 2 relays(chapters 3,4) and the 6027 PUT transistors(chapter 3).

    note: I only bought the end of the grabbers because I have an extra set of multimeter probes which I was going to cut the ends off.

    note2: the prices might show in CAD, I also forked out the extra money for UPS express and received the box at my door from Texas to Canada in 2 days!

    here's the link to the shopping cart from Mouser with the chips if anybody wants to use it as a reference, just make sure to double check everything!

    https://ca.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=48ffe34adf

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a variety of magnetic [reed] switches at jameco.com. They look perfect for project 15.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Fred - I forgot to mention that I purchased my magnetic switches locally. You can see one in use in my writeup for Exercise 15 that I'll be posting today (1/4/10).

    ReplyDelete