Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Mouser Encyclopedia


I just checked my mail... crammed into the mailbox was this 2190 page catalog. I'm guessing that if it is an electronics component and someone makes it... it's probably in here.

And what really strikes me as funny is that this is the February to July 2010 catalog... so I'm guessing I'll be getting another one of these in July or August... I'd really prefer not to, so I'll probably call them and ask them to take me off the list. I can't imagine the catalog changing all that much (except maybe for subtle price changes). The little bit of environmentalist in me figures I'd rather save the 2 or 3 trees it takes to print this thing... just a thought for those of you placing orders with Mouser.

4 comments:

  1. haha I remember when I got my first Mouser catalog, I had them take me off the list too. That's just insane to send those out when we have the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. It's not just the environmental cost, I just don't understand why anyone would *want* a printed catalog when we have the Internet. It's like those printed Yellow Pages that keep showing up on my doorstep. Who really lets "their fingers do the walking" on dead tree directories these days?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have to call them to stop getting the behemoth? Or can one do it on-line?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A printed catalog is nice to have because just by browsing page by page you might find something interesting or better than what you're looking for. Plus, if your computer is not where you usually do the electronics, a catalog in the "lab" helps. I agree that taking yourself off the list after just one is good since the stuff in the printed version is good for a long while and you can look up items on-line to check for price changes.

    ReplyDelete